Now here's the top 3. I am using Alexa rankings even though I am aware of the criticisms.
1. MySpace: It is the No. 1 social networking site on the net today. It was founded in November 2003 by Tom Anderson and Chris DeWolfe. It is now owned by Fox Interactive Media with it's HQ in New York. According to Alexa, it is currently the world's fifth most popular English-language website. Allows you to share media including music (via MySpace Music) and offers blogging options. Users can customize their profile pages.
2. Hi5: Fast growing social network. I had thought that Friendster would be No. 2 but according to Alexa, Hi5 is No. 2. Allows you to share media, affinity groups and messaging.
3. Facebook: It was founded in February 4, 2004 by Mark Zuckerberg, who's also the present CEO. Features include news feed, social time line, and weblog options as well.
Connects people through social networks at colleges.It has the largest number of registered users among college-focused sites with over 25 million members worldwide.
Others worthy of mention (not ranked):
- Friendster. Founded by Jonathan Abrams in March 2002, it was considered THE No. 1 social network. You can share media, has weblog options and virtual communities. Popularity has waned.
- Orkut: Owned by Google and currently in Beta. It was launched on January 22, 2004. It is the most popular social networking site in Brazil and India. Doesn't have blogging options and limited privacy options. Allows you to share images and videos and create and join communities.
- Windows Live Spaces: Was previously known as MSN Spaces. Released in early 2004. Users can blog, share photos and music. Have hundreds of themes and page layouts to choose from.
- Yahoo! 360: Launched in March 29, 2005. It is currently in Beta too. Offers a personal web site, ability to share photos through Yahoo! Photos, weblog options and forums through integration with Yahoo groups.
- Bebo. Claims to be the fastest growing social networking site. They also announced on March 17 this year, that they were the most popular website in the Republic of Ireland. Unique to it is the whiteboard, where other users can draw pictures. Features include ability to include quizzes, slide-shows, polls, photo albums, blogs, a list of bands and a "Flash Box" where you can include a video.
There are hundreds of other networks but these are the most popular ones. Any I missed?
- Most popular social networking site in India
- Social networks and my psychographic profile
- Are you on Bebo
Tags: bebo friendster hi5 myspace orkut social networks